Thursday, October 4, 2007

Conference Weekend!

The muffins. That's all I have to say. Angie and Julie can attest to these muffins. This is what conference weekend was all about when we were in college. That, and sleeping through the whole thing. These are the most amazing muffins you've ever tasted. And I took the liberty of getting the recipe from my mom for you girls to enjoy...Mandella, I am making them Sunday morning and will run some over to you...you'll love me for it!

Conference Muffins:
2 cups boiling water
4 cups bran cereal (All Bran or Bran Buds)
1 pound pitted and chopped dates (ick) OR 2 cups raisins
5 cups flour
1 tsp salt
5 tsp baking soda
1 cup crisco
2 cups sugar
4 beaten eggs
1 quart buttermilk
2 cups bran flakes
1/3 cup molasses

You'll need a huge bowl for this one. Makes 6 dozen muffins! But trust me, if you share with neighbors, they'll be gone!
Pour boiling water over bran cereal and raisins. Sift dry ingredients together. Cream shortening and sugar; add eggs, hot bran mixture, dry ingredients, molasses and buttermilk. Add the 2 cups of bran flakes cereal. Mix just enough to combine. Baked in greased and floured muffin tins or line with cupcake liners at 400 degrees for 15-20 mintues. Batter can be stored in a covered container in a fridge for up to 6 weeks! Bake any amount as desired!

I was gonna overnight these to Angie and Julie, but then I thought you might have more enjoyment making them on your own. My tonsils better be healed by Sunday so I can eat these!

3 comments:

Julie said...

YUMMY!!!!!!!!!

Mandella Green said...

I was just salivating as I read your post and then was thinking that sounds good and LO! You in your kindness will SHARE with me. Bless you, bless you my child! You Are the queen!

angie j. said...

These were amazing and I got lots of compliments from friends!! Thanks for sharing Sharn and thanks to Irene for actually givin' up the recipe!! :)